Sunday, September 20, 2009

St. Thomas 09 n junk

Our beautiful beach at our hotel!

Sunset the evening we got there! Beautiful :)

Our trek to St. Thomas started at 11:50 p.m. Wednesday, September 2, 2009.

Dylan and I are excited to leave!!!

We arrived at the airport and all got checked in and on the plane. My vacation buddies were... my roommates Jeff, Dylan, Keith, his lady Heather, Keith's brother Nate, and Jared and Jen. It was the most uncomfortable plane ride ever to Atlanta. Could not sleep at all. I figured out the only time I can sleep is when I have a window seat... if I have my way in the future I will have window seats on every flight! Luckily we were at the same terminal we needed to be at in ATL because our lay over was just enough time to get to our gate and board the plane. The flight to Miami we got exit row seats and finally got some shut eye! Then... the lovely Miami airport ...it's pretty much a city. SOOOOOOOOOoo big...like 10 terminals big. We had about 3 hours in between flights but we got lost and split up. We had to go through security again because we had to switch terminals. What a pain... so confusing as well. So we are on our plane from Miami to St. Thomas and I could hardly sleep... I tried but I just watched all of the islands go by which most likely were The Bahamas. We land in St. Thomas and are just blown away by the humidity... yuck. It takes a day to get used to! We walk off the plane and were greeted with shots of pineapple rum! Rum is reallly cheap there...it was tastey tho. We had to stop off at the liquor store in the airport and grab some Captain Morgan! It was 2 for $18! That's a bargain lol We found the mini van and stuffed 8 people and their luggage in it. We did well...props to the boys. In St. Thomas you drive on the left side of the road. Takes a while to get used to! It seems people are going to run right into you all of the time. I didn't really watch the roads much when we drove around because it gave me anxiety! Jared was a bit of a crazy driver but it's partially the road's fault... they are the craziest roads I have ever been on! We were thinking about getting scooters but once we started driving around that idea went out the window. Our lives are worth more than renting scooters. We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Resort. It was a beautiful hotel! Very nice people and I loved the decor and lobby...it was my style for sure. So I roomed with my roomie Jeff and Keith's brother Nate. Not my choice of roomies but it worked. I got to sleep in my own bed the whole time. mwahahahahaha. :) The first night me, Jeff, Nate and the Jones' went to dinner at the Captain's Reef or something like that and I had $15 nachos. They were good but I think the only reason they were was because I was hungry. Then we went swimming...that was a blast. It was night by that time and the pool was pretty warm. The next day we all piled in the van (at this time it was pouring rain and the roads by the hotel are cobble stone... cobble stone and a mini van of 8 people and a huge hill don't mix very well but we made it!) we went to the grocery store. Everything there is so much more expensive but definitely worth buying sandwich/cereal and snack stuff. The checker wasn't very nice tho... that was our first run in with a rude person there. We went to the fruit stand which was way cool but the lady and I had a hard time communicating. It was awkward. We then went back to the room and made sandwiches and then went to the beach! It was sooo fun! Wave jumping and getting trampled by waves was a blast. That night we went to dinner at Molly Malones that was an Irish pub. Fish n chips are always a great choice and later that night we went to Duffys and had some rum and I had a drink that came in a whale cup called "Thar She Blows!" It was like a pina colada but better... mmm and I got to keep "free willey" the cup.
We then went to the beach and just watched the waves crash in and met some guy that Dylan made friends with and talked to for way too long. Hung out at the pool a little but then went to bed. All day that day (Friday) it was overcast but nice...not too hot. Saturday we went to St. John which was about a 20 minute ferry ride from St. Thomas. We took the car barge there. I knew it was going to rain that day and was hoping to go Sunday but I am only one person and wasn't about to ruin the plans. So we went to St. John and ended up at Hawksnest Bay.
This is what it looked like pretty much the whole time we were there. It is a beautiful place tho! The tropical storm Erika definitely made her presence known while we were there. It poured and poured while we just swam in the ocean. It was warmer in the ocean than out of it. Our stuff got soaked for the most part. I didn't get many pics because I was afraid of ruining my sister's camera. Our area was flooded for a while until the rain stopped. One of my favorite moments was just chillin in the ocean while it rained and the boys sang Kiss The Girl from The Little Mermaid. It was priceless. :)

Then we were pelted by rain... i'm sure i'll never experience that again. Then the Jones' got back from getting snorkle gear. Snorkeling was hard to get used to at first. I didn't trust it. I felt like I was suffocating. Eventually I got it and it was soooo awesome. I loved seeing the fish and the coral. It was scary but worth it. There were times I would freak myself out and have to come up for air and one time found myself standing on coral and felt so bad! Saw a lot of cool things there including some sting rays.
After the rain :)

Then we went to a little place called Woodys. It was yummy! One of the best cheese burgers i've ever had. Then it was back to St. Thomas. I believe that night we went to a place called Iggys. We were all beat and I believe that was the night we went back and just crashed early. I don't remember exactly... should have blogged the day after I got back! So Sunday we went shopping and I got some suveneirs (sp?) and some cute purses from the flee market. Then on to Megan's Bay.
I wish I would have gotten a good pic of this place. It really was pretty. Very warm and calm water. Sunday is apparently the day the locals go to the beach. It was busy and there were a lot of families there with tons of kids everywhere! It was a nice time tho. Kind of over cast but nice.

That night we went to a place called Fat Joes I believe and sang Karaokee. It was a blast! Had a good time with some other girls that went on the trip with us as well.
The next day we left St. Thomas and was on to Miami...South Beach actually where we stuffed 6 people in our hotel room which wasn't bad at all. It was sooo awesome in South Beach. I'd love to stay there for a couple days.
Then we left Miami and flew home ... :( Long long flights home.

So after getting home nothing much has happened that is new. Found out my cousin is prego :) I'm super excited for her! Nothing much has happened with me. Just sooo busy at work. It has been hard some days but we keep on going. I'm really hoping for some positive changes that will just make everything so much better. Not sure what those are yet... I am hoping to start planning another vacation! Hopefully with my family or my friend Whit. It would be nice to go on vacations with them :)

Well... fall is upon us... which means I have a Zombie birthday party, Halloween, it's hoodie season, and that dreaded thing we call snow :(. I shall miss you summer. Christmas is soo close. Ugh.

If you would like to see more pictures let me know and I will get you some links.
xoxo

No comments: